Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Low Fat Alfredo Sauce

This is so good, I would never guess it was low in fat. My kids absolutely loved it and all asked for more and more.

Guiltless Alfredo

2 C low-fat milk
1/3 C (3 oz) low fat cream cheese (I used fat free and it turned out fine)
2 T flour
1 t salt
1 T butter
3 garlic cloves
1 C grated Parmesan cheese

Mix milk, cream cheese, flour and salt in a blender until smooth. Melt butter in skillet and saute garlic for about 30 seconds. Add milk mixture to garlic and stir for a few minutes until thickened. Add parmesan cheese and stir. Cover with a lit, remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes to thicken up more. If you refrigerate this it will get very thick, add milk and re-heat.

6 comments:

  1. Made this for lunch today and it was great! I only had about 2/3 a cup Parmesan cheese and it worked out fine, still. I also used full fat cream cheese since that's all I had :) So good, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many servings do you think this recipe has?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, I have a family of six (four little kids) and it fed us with just a little leftover. I hope this helps!! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would say four adult servings? I used part of mine to make a pesto pasta so I am not 100% sure. I want to err on the side of too much rather than not enough. So I will guess 4 generous adult servings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE! This will be going into my permanent cook book for sure! I used fat free milk and cream cheese, and reduced fat parmesan. It was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can look at my blog and see nutritional facts of healthy, low fat food at grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete