Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My very favorite cookie, hands down

(I updated this blog with a lot of new recipes today, don't miss them, keep scrolling down . . .)

These cookies have pretty much made me famous. OK, so not famous. I mean, it isn't even my recipe. But, they are by far the cookie that have gotten the most reaction from others. People simply love them. In college I discovered Lemon Drop cookies from a place called Cookies By Design, they were my obsession. My roomates served them at my bridal shower. I tried for years and years to find a recipe close but never did. Several years ago my mom bought a cookbook ("5 star recipes from well-known Latter Day Saints") and this recipe was in it. I have to make a plan to give these away before I even make them. I could honestly eat them all day and all night long.

Lemon Drop Cookies

2 c. sugar
1 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. lemon extract
4 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
Finely chopped zest of one lemon
1 (6-oz) package lemon drops (sometimes these are tricky to find, I usually keep two or three bags in my pantry)
2 c. powdered sugar
juice of two lemons



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In mixing bowl, cream sugar, shortening, and eggs; add flavorings. Stir in dry ingredients, lemon zest, and crushed lemon drops (I crush them in my blender). Roll into balls, flatten slightly, and bake on parchment lined (if you don't use parchment, cookies will stick to pan) baking sheet for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool slightly on pan for a couple of minutes. Make a glaze by mixing powdered sugar with lemon juice. Brush glaze over cookie tops. Let cookies cool completely.

makes 4 to 5 dozen cookies.

While on the subject of these cookies, I thought I would mention three of my favorite kitchen tools, since they are all used in this recipe. You can usually find each of these at TJ Maxx for a great price. The citrus press is my latest favorite, I use it for salsa and pico de gallo all the time. It gets a ton of juice out with practically no effort.

20 comments:

  1. These are the best cookies EVER!!! I could go on and on about them. Too bad I don't have all the ingredients on hand (unusual for me because I am obsessed with them) or I would be in the kitchen already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane, I didn't know you had this recipe! I am always stalking Cookies by Design to buy them, but they're always sold out by early afternoon. Every time I eat them, I think of you and Breena. I know what I'm making this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em, I can't believe I haven't made these for you! You are in for a treat, beware. I usually find the lemon drops at Harmons, I think they are in the Western Family packaging candy section. Let me know how you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are hands down my favorite cookies too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aniston and I couldn't stop eating them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is autistic. He lives in a home for young adults with disabilities to try to teach him living skills. He goes to a specialized school for people over 18 that teaches cooking etc. His is on social security. He gets $10 per week for spending... that is it. No more. So... I am helping him raise money for activities during the summer. The organization that helps him has an all staff meeting later this month. We are thinking about making these and selling them. There are over 300 people there. That will be a lot of baking. My question is... first, do these freeze well if you frost them after they thaw out. Question two being... how much would you sell them for, single cookie and by the dozen. I was thinking three for a dollar? or $3.50 per dozen. I was going to pack the dozen in cellophane bags with a ribbon. Suggestions???

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wendy, these cookies freeze and thaw perfectly. We freeze them almost everytime I make them. As far as how much to sell them for, they are really good and I think people would be willing to pay a little more for such a good cause. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It does help. I will start making them tomorrow. It will be a lot of baking but that is something that we love to do... so I am looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look sooo good and summery! I must make them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to start this out by saying a rarely comment on blogs, but I had to for this one! I made these cookies along with many other treats that I gave away for Christmas, and these were by far the favorite! I can't tell you how many people said "I don't even like lemon that much, but those cookies were goooood!" Question though: when you said they freeze well, do you mean with or without the glaze? Well thanks so much for a great recipe!! I will definitely be making these again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Jane... I LOVE these! Sydney made these two night for Stake Youth Olympics. They were so delicious!!!! Thanks for the fun recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We made these last week and totally loved them! I took your advice and froze our extra ones and found we loved them even more straight out of the freezer! :) Thanks for an awesome recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am a friend of your sister and I've been following your blog from the start. I've never posted, but I want you to know how much we love these cookies. We found out a while ago that my husband has to eat gluten free, so I'm going to be working on a way to sub out the flour on them to make them gluten free. Thanks for posting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just discovered your blog and have bookmarked it because I have been looking for a recipe for these lemon drop cookies. I made them immediately and cannot stop eating them. I brought some to work and had my daughter bring some to school and a friend's house. Delish! I've already given the recipe to a coworker. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. can you use part butter?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have been searching for this recipe for years!!!! Cookies by Design is no longer in business in my location :( I have been craving these cookies for the past 4 years!! I can not wait to start baking :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I used butter and we wound up throwing them away. They were incredibly greasy. Why so much shortening? They were awfully sweet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Could please let me know where and what exactly are lemon drops...are they a candy? - would I find them in the baking session of the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find them in the candy isle. I love these cookies so do all my friends, only thing is the lemon drops are hard to break up. Tryed my blender but they got stuck under the blades so I guess I will have to get a food prosser.(ms)

      Delete
  19. I couldn't find butter flavored shortening...just regular shortening...should I add butter?

    ReplyDelete