Monday, June 14, 2010

Drop Sugar Cookies

One of my husband's favorite treats is a sugar cookie from Subway, I assume they are Otis Spunkmeyer. For many years I have tried many different drop sugar cookie recipes in hope to duplicate them. His main requirement is that they are soft, he is all about a soft cookie. I made so many different recipes that I have lost count. Sadly, none of them lived up to the Subway cookie. The one time in the past five years they he told me, "this is it!" was the time I made Pillsbury refrigerated cookie dough. What's a girl to do? I finally came across this recipe and it is by far the best one. They are soft and they stay soft even the next day and the flavor is buttery delicious. My hunt for the best drop sugar cookie has finally ended.

Drop Sugar Cookies
allrecipes.com via savory sweet life

1 1/4 cups white sugar

1 cup salted butter

3 egg yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar

1/4 teaspoon of salt

1/3 cup coarse sugar crystals or regular granulated sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream together butter and sugar. Mix in 1 egg yolk at a time and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, and salt until cookie dough is completely mixed. Be sure to scrape down the bowl to be sure everything is mixed. Using a medium scoop, form dough balls and roll them in sugar crystals. Place cookie balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper 2 inches apart from one another. Bake for 12-14 minutes until the surface of each cookies have a cracked like texture. Remove from oven and allow cookies to remain on the cookie sheet for 5 mintues before transferring to a cooling rack.