Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Mom's Sugar Cookies

There are so many good sugar cookie recipes and I have tried many of them but I always go back to the one my mom has made for as long as I can remember. It is not a soft, fat, chewy cookie but rather one that has the most perfect flavor and it keeps its shape great when baked. I like to bake them until they are golden brown on the bottom. The flavor is even better when browned just a bit. Among many delightful cookie recipes this one stands out as my all time favorite. I don't think I'll ever find a recipe I like more. I will continue to make other recipes as well because Aaron's perfect sugar cookie is one that is soft and chewy.

Mom's Sugar Cookies
(Click here for printable version)

3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Combine wet and dry ingredients in separate bowls. Add the dry to the wet. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 minutes. If you like yours on the softer side, bake them less. Like I said - I like them golden brown on the bottom, the flavor is stronger and better to me.
For the frosting, I just combine a stick of butter, a bag of powdered sugar, milk until desired consistensy and some almond extract. I used to always add vanilla extract until I went to a bakery and had a cookie that had an almond flavor to it. I never used vanilla after that. The almond in the frosting makes it absolutely delightful!

Enjoy!