Thursday, February 11, 2010

Stuffed Green Peppers

This one is for you Breena =). I haven't made these in a while so thank you for the menu suggestion. I am sure there are many variations of stuffed peppers. This is the one my mom has always made and I love it, even my kids eat this one right up! It makes a regular appearance in my menu rotation.

Green peppers are my favorite vegetable so I really love these. This is my mom's recipe and really, any good recipe I have is probably because it came from my talented mom. My kids love the filling but not the pepper, which is just fine with me, I just eat their pepper and less filling. It is very, very easy. I think I threw it together in 15 minutes. These are really good as leftovers also.
Stuffed Peppers


4 green peppers
1 lb. hamburger
3/4 cup minute rice, uncooked
1 tsp. salt
1 TBS. worchestershire sauce
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 eggs
2 8 oz cans tomato sauce, divided
1 cup grated cheese
Cut tops off peppers and clean out seeds. Precook in boiling water for 5 minutes.
Mix all ingredients (only one can of tomato sauce) and stuff peppers. Bake at 350 degrees for
35-40 minutes. Put remaining tomato sauce and the cheese on the tops and bake for 5 or 10 more minutes.
I usually cut the pepper in half after baking them for the 35 minutes, then put the tomato sauce and cheese on each half, we eat them in halves anyway, especially the kids.