Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Turkey (or chicken) Soup



My mom made this after Thanksgiving with broth she made from the turkey. It is the most wonderful soup! I am going to make it with chicken broth soon because I can't wait until next November to have it again. ( I am behind on my recipes du to illnesses over the holidays, I still have Thanksgiving and Christmas food to post. Please bear with me while I catch up)


Turkey (or chicken) soup
3 quarts of turkey( or chicken) broth
3 medium onions, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 cup butter, cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large pot, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3.Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, and remaining turkey broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.


To make turkey broth place turkey carcass in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass and disgard.