Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Turkey (or chicken) Soup



My mom made this after Thanksgiving with broth she made from the turkey. It is the most wonderful soup! I am going to make it with chicken broth soon because I can't wait until next November to have it again. ( I am behind on my recipes du to illnesses over the holidays, I still have Thanksgiving and Christmas food to post. Please bear with me while I catch up)


Turkey (or chicken) soup
3 quarts of turkey( or chicken) broth
3 medium onions, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
2 celery ribs, diced
1 cup butter, cubed
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
1 cup uncooked long grain rice
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
3/4 teaspoon pepper

In a large pot, saute the onions, carrots and celery in butter until tender. Reduce heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add 1 qt. of broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3.Add cream, rice, salt, bouillon, pepper, and remaining turkey broth. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until rice is tender.


To make turkey broth place turkey carcass in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Remove carcass and disgard.

8 comments:

  1. So sorry you are under the weather! That is going around like wildfire - just recovered myself... This sounds yummy - kind of like a mix between clam chowder (minus the potatoes) and chicken with rice soup. I'll have to try it and curl up under my electric blanket with a big bowl. Take care and get well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds fabulous. I do have a Turkey in my freezer so I will have to remember this when I cook it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Came to your blog from my sis in law. So far I am drooling over everything. Did a version of your fugdy brownie and posted it today on my blog. Come by and take a peek.

    Just Another Day in Paradise

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone who values my opinion, this is my favorite soup on planet earth. Actually, to be fair, this one and your broccoli cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a perfect chill breaker! Hearty, creamy and delicious. Glad to try out this one for our Valentine full course meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH MY GOODNESS!!! This looks amazing! AND, I have almost everything in my pantry—-and, thank so much for this recipe. That looks delicious! I make something similar and it’s one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. all looks so delicious...Yummy!!!!
    This looks delicious.
    Will get the stuff to make it next week.Your recipe looks easy but SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This can be a perfect chill breaker! Hearty, creamy and scrumptious. Glad to test that one for the Valentine full course meal.

    ReplyDelete