Monday, November 8, 2010

Coconut Bread




In high school I had a project where I typed up all of my mom's great recipes in a book and made copies for all my family and some friends. It is FULL of typos and errors and it is one of my motivations for this blog, to re-organize them and type them up correctly. I am most know for that cookbook for the recipe where I tell you to "ass the chicken" (it was meant to say add chicken). I still get asked by people who have this cookbook how to ass a chicken. This recipe is in that cookbook that I typed many years ago and yesterday is the first time I have ever made it. Where have I been and why haven't I made it sooner? I guess I have been too busy figuring out how to ass a chicken to notice this gem of a recipe hiding in there. I do not know where my mom got this recipe so many years a go, I just know that it was a delightful treat for a rainy, foggy afternoon. Instead of making two loaves, I made 6 small loaves so I could give them away.

Mom's coconut bread

4 eggs, beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil
1 Tablespoon coconut extract
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans

In a medium bowl, mix eggs, sugar, oil and coconut extract. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Alternate adding flour and buttermilk to egg mixture. Fold in coconut and pecans.

Bake at 325 degrees for an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Glaze

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 Tablespoons butter

Put butter, sugar and water in a saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add almond and coconut. Pour over warm bread and let sit for a couple of hours to soak in.

Makes 2 large loaves or 6 small loaves.