Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Orange Cookies



These are a new family favorite, I made a batch last night, hid some in the freezer and the rest? Gone. My husband already asked me when I am making them again. These cookies are very soft with a hint of crisp on the outer edges and the glaze is just heavenly. I will be making these a lot in the future. My husband even dared to say he likes them better than these Lemon Drop Cookies. I was a little offended but I can almost see why he said it ;)


Orange Cookies
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
2 Tablespoons grated orange rind
3 Tablespoons orange juice
4 cups plus 2 Tablespoons flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat until smooth and creamy.
Add orange rind and juice; beat well.
Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a separate bowl with a whisk; gradually add to creamed mixture, beating well.
Drop cookie dough onto greased cookie sheets; bake at 350 degrees for 14-16 minutes or until edges just begin to brown.
Cool on wire racks.Spread tops of cookies with orange glaze.

I would actually prefer them completely submerged in the glaze, but maybe that is just me :)


Orange Glaze

2 pound bag powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons grated orange rind5 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients; beat until smooth.

Add more orange juice if needed to thin or more powdered sugar to thicken.