Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cold and Fresh Macaroni Salad

This is my favorite macaroni salad, it is light, cold and fresh. It took me a long time to find a pasta salad recipe I really love. You have to refrigerate it for a couple of hours before serving it. I tasted it right after I made it and I thought the dijon taste was way too strong but after sitting in the fridge for two hours, the flavors all combined and it was perfect. You can add to it as you like, cucumbers, cheese and any veggies you like.

salt
1 pound macaroni
1/2 small red onion, minced
2 stalks celery, minced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
2 TBS lemon juice
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 mayonaise
Pepper

Boil macaroni and add 1 Tablespoon salt to water while boiling, cook until nearly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water, keep macaroni wet.

Pour macaroni in a large bowl and toss in onion, celery, parsley, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder and cayenne and let sit for at least 2 minutes. Add mayonaise and let sit until no longer watery. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.