Sunday, May 2, 2010

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

I was blessed with a very, very cute new little nephew a few days ago. I got to watch his brother and sisters for a day and thought some cookies with m&m's were in order. While I had 7 kids playing in my house, I got busy in the kitchen so they would have some movie treats. I came across this recipe here, and they were really good. Everyone gobbled them right up! The recipe was for chocolate coconut cookies, I just added the m&m's for the kids sake. OK, for my sake too. These are soft and chewy and just have a hint of coconut flavor.

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 sticks of butter, softened
1/2 c white sugar
1 1/2 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
3 c all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 lb chocolate chips/chunks

Cream the butter and the sugars until light. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.. Add the vanilla and mix again. Combine the flour, soda and salt in another bowl with a wisk. Slowly add the flour with mixer on low speed. Mix until just combined, taking care not to over mix.

With a spatula fold in the chocolate and coconut
Drop by spoonful onto parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes. They should be lightly golden on the outside but still look gooey on the inside.