Sunday, May 16, 2010

Beans

This isn't really a recipe and I may be the only person that didn't know about making beans, but I hadn't made beans until my sister-in-law showed me just how easy and delicious it is. I have always purchased canned refried beans but never again! Not only are these cheap and healthy, but they are so good and I love that all four of my kids gobble these up. I like to make meals without meat at least once a week and these are perfect for that! Since I didn't know how to make these, maybe someone else would like to know also.



1 - The night before, sort beans and take out any rocks or bad beans. Rinse well and drain.2. Put beans in a pot and fill with water to cover beans. Let sit overnight.



3. Continue to add water throughout the day as the beans absorb it to keep them covered with water. At about 1:00 or 2:00 in the afternoon turn on the stovetop to low to medium high. Stir occasionally and let simmer until dinnertime, for 4 to 5 hours. Add seasonings to your taste. I add lots of salt, cumin powder, garlic powder, chili powder and a couple of mexican seasonings. (I love Penseys Southwest seasoning and Adobe Seasoning, which I order online since we are not lucky enough to have a Penseys store where I live)