Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Kalua Pork with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce

My husband and I love to eat at Rumbi, he loves the pork plate and I love the salads. I decided it would be fun to try and imitate the Kalua Pork for him. I searched for a while for some recipes and found that they are basically the same. They all consited of the exact same, simple ingredients, just in different quantities. It is so super easy, freezes great and you can do so many things with it - pork sandwiches, rice bowls, salads. I wanted to have it with teriyaki sauce but whenever I have purchased it from the store I have been dissapointed so I made my own. I was really happy with the results. And more importantly, my husband loved it! We will definitely be making this many more times. Next time I am going to buy a much larger roast so I can freeze some of it. My roast was 3.3 pounds, vary the ingredients and cooking times according to your size roast.

Kalua Pork

3 pounds pork butt roast
2 cups water
4 TBS liquid smoke flavoring (I just dumped about 1/3 the bottle in)
2 TBS sea salt

Trim large pieces of fat off roast and place in a roasting pan. Rub sea salt over roast, pour liquid smoke over roast and pour water around roast. Cover with foil seal very well so it will steam itself. I used a couple layers of foil.

Cover and roast in a preheated 375 degree oven for three hours or until it shreds easily and is done (I did mine for 3 hours then turned it down to 200 degrees and let it sit for another hour). Remove from pan and shred.

Teriyaki Sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 TBS honey
5 TBS brown sugar

Combine above ingredients in saucepan over medium heat.

Combine:

2 TBS cornstarch in
1/4 cup water until cornstarch dissolves. Add to above mixture and stir over heat until thickens.