Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Taquitos

I came across these here and they were immediately one of our new favorites. I have made them at least 5 times since, my kids LOVE them and always ask for seconds. I use canned chicken for this recipe. I love that you don't fry them and don't use a lot of fat in the filling either. I serve these with the mexican rice I posted.

Baked Chicken Taquitos

3 ounces cream cheese (I have used the low fat or fat free variety, both with great results)
1/4 C green salsa
1T fresh lime juice
1/2 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/4 t granulated garlic, or garlic powder
3 T chopped cilantro
2 T sliced green onions
2 C shredded cooked chicken ( I always use two cans of chicken from Costco)
1 C grated pepperjack cheese

corn tortillas
cooking spray
kosher salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees, line cookie sheet with foil.

Make sure cream cheese is soft, microwave for a few seconds if necessary. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Add onions and cilantro then add chicken and cheese and combine.

Heat a few tortillas in microwave at a time to soften, you can layer them between wet paper towels to help steam and soften them. Place 2 to 3 Tablespoons on each tortilla and roll tightly. Place on baking sheet, seam side down. Spray tops of taquitos with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until they start to get golden brown.

I always have a hard time getting these to stay together and look really nice. No one seems to mind though, we just use forks if necessary.

Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.