Friday, February 4, 2011

Strawberry Pretzel Salad


I made the Paula Deen version of this salad about a year ago and it was so good. We had a family Christmas party and my cousin brought it and reminded me just how much I love it. This version is adapted from one I found on allrecipes.com and it is my favorite one I have made. It is much more like dessert than fruit salad. When I put mine in the fridge to set it was lopsided so the piece pictured has an extra thick layer of the jello. You have to trust me that it tastes much better than this picture makes it look.
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
1 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
5 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup white sugar
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (6 ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
2 cups boiling water
1 (16 ounce) package frozen sweetened strawberries
Mix pretzels, brown sugar and butter and press on the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Allow crust to cool completely.
In a medium bowl mix the cream cheese and white sugar until smooth. Fold in cool whip and spread on cooled crust. Put in fridge for about 30 minutes to allow it to set.
Boil water, add to jello and then add frozen strawberries. Stir to defrost strawberries then pour over cream cheese layer. Allow to set in fridge, about 1 hour.