Wednesday, May 12, 2010

French Bread Pizza

This recipe is from my sister-in-law who, as I always say, is a culinary school graduate and fantastic cook. I kind of underestimated this one, I knew it would be good because she and her family love it but I didn't know it would be this good. It is a definite new favorite at our house. I didn't know I was capable of making pizza at home that I would like this much. All four of my kids loved it too. You can throw this one together in no time at all - 20 minutes, if even that.

French Bread Pizza

6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
4 Tbs. finely chopped, FRESH basil
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 loaf french bread, halved lengthwise
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup Contadina brand pizza sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 475 degrees. Microwave oil, garlic, 2 Tbs basil, and pepper flakes on high power in a small microwave safe dish until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Brush half of oil mixture over OUTSIDE crust and edges, and inside of cut bread and arrange cut side up on foil-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle parmesan cheese evenly over bread and bake until cheese begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Whisk pizza sauce, remaining basil, and remaining oil mixture in bowl. Spread sauce evenly over bread, then top with mozzarella. Bake until cheese is melted and spotty brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve.