Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Frosting



This is what James requested for his birthday breakfast today. I have been trying in the past few years to learn to make yeast breads. I thought I had found the perfect cinammon roll recipe until my gorgeous neighbor Lisa came over one night with a batch of cinammon rolls. (she makes the best treats!) I could not believe how delicious they were, the best I had EVER had. I called her (even though it was 10 pm) and pretty much made a fool of myself declaring my love for these things. She made the carmel apple sticky bun version which you can find here.

I LOVE this recipe because it is the fastest cinammon roll recipe I have seen and you do not need a mixer. I used a bamboo spoon to stir it, I didn't knead at all and no kitchen aid mixer! Thanks Lisa for introducing me to these!
Cinammon Rolls with Maple Frosting
adapted from The Pioneer Woman

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 tsp Active Dry Yeast
4-½ cups flour, divided
2 teaspoons salt
½ tspbaking soda
½ tsp baking powder, heaping
1 stick melted butter
1 cup sugar (I use half 1/4 white and 3/4 brown)
cinammon
Mix the milk, oil and sugar in a pan. “Scald” the mixture (heat until just before the boiling point). Remove from heat and allow to cool to lukewarm. (To save time, I make and ice bath in my sink and cool it there) Sprinkle yeast and let sit for about 10 minutes, until yeast dissolves and is bubbly or frothy. Add 4 cups of flour. Stir mixture together with a spoon. Cover and let rise for at least an hour.
After rising for at least an hour, add 1/2 cup of flour, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir mixture again with a spoon. At this point you can refrigerate overnight. I did that so in the morning I just had to roll it out, raise it quick and bake for breakfast.
Roll dough out in a rectangle, spread melted butter all over and sprinkle with sugars and cinammon. Roll towards you and seal the along the end. Slice into individual rolls. Put in a pan with 2 or 3 TBS melted butter on the bottom of pan. Let rise again for 20 to 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes, or until golden brown.
For Maple frosting:
1/2 bag powdered sugar
4 TBS. melted butter
2 tsp maple flavoring
enough milk to make it the right consistency (a little on the thick side)
Frost generously when it comes out of the oven.
(Enjoy, but don't enjoy too much or you will make yourself sick like I did with them)